Sabemos que en ocasiones os cuesta mucho saber la diferencia entre As y Like, así que os ponemos aquí cuando usar cada uno, con frases de ejemplo.
We use LIKE:
- to mean ‘similar to’ (especially after the verbs be, seem, feel, look, sound, smeel and taste)
He’s eating what looks like a hamburger.
This swimming pool is fantastic – the artificial waves mean it’s like swimming in the sea.
- to mean ‘for example’
He enjoys all sorts of adventure sports like paragliding windsurfing and canoeing.
We use AS:
- to say something or someone is that thing or has that function:
He works as a nurse.
She uses email as a way of keeping in touch with friends.
- to mean the same as before a subject + verb or a past participle:
Things happened as I had expected.
- to mean ‘because’:
As tomorrow is a public holiday, I will not be giving you any homework.
- after certain verbs including describe and regard:
The police are describing him as extremely dangerous.
- with adjectives and adverbs to make comparisons:
Mike is not as clever as his sister.
- to mean ‘for example’ in the phrase such as:
I will visit lots of places such as Venice, Rome and Florence.
- with the same… as:
You’re wearing the same color shirt as me.
- in the phrases as far as I know, as far as I’m concerned, as far as I can see/ tell…
Fuente: Complete First.
1.- Utiliza correctamente As/ Like
_____ I always say, just do it.
____ your father, I care about you.
This bag is ____ mine.
____ you know, I love chocolate.
She works ____ a teacher.
I like people ____ you.
She looks ____ her sister.
____ I see it, this is something we will regret.
Someone ____ you.
2.- Elige la respuesta correcta.
- Howard sings with ____ much confidence ____ a professional.
- Howard sings ____ a professional.
- It is just ____ Jenny to forget my birthday.
- Peter’s work ____ a consultant keeps him very busy.
- ____ your boss, I think you need to work harder. [= I am your boss]
- ____ your boss, I think you need to work harder. [= I am not your boss]
- Vanessa won the race, ____ expected.
- You’re bedroom is a mess. It’s ____ a bomb exploded in there!
- It looks ____ it’s going to be another beautiful day.
- He blamed everyone else for his mistakes ____ he always does.
3.- Rellena los espacios.
1. Completa las siguientes oraciones con “like” o “as”.Inicia sesión para hacer seguimiento de tus autoevaluaciones
|1)||My boss is very strict; he is _____ a sergeant|
|2)||His house is very big; it is ____ a castle|
|3)||He has found a job in Marbella ____ a gardener|
|4)||The thief threatened the old couple using a screwdriver ___ a weapon|
|5)||During the war they used this local road ___ an airfield|
|6)||You must reply to the judge ___ your lawyer has told you|
|7)||When I finished my studies I started working ___ an accountant|
|8)||What a beautiful place! It is ___ paradise|
|9)||Can you swim that distance ___ fast as I can?|
|10)||My wife always behaves ___ her mother|
|11)||What a big dog! It is ___ a pony|
|12)||What a scandal in the restaurant! That person behaved ___a clown|
|13)||Be careful! That dog is fierce ___ a tiger|
|14)||When he was young he worked in Paris ___ a postman|
|15)||Helen didn’t pass her exam ___ we expected|
|16)||You can go to work walking ___ I do. It is very healthy|
|17)||When he was attacked in the street he reacted ___ a coward|
|18)||In summer they use the local school ___ a sports centre|
|19)||She is very funny. I really ___ people like her|
|20)||Who is that guy? He looks ___ my teacher|
|21)||I have brought you this book ___ I promised|
|22)||I wouldn’t have reacted ___ you did|
|23)||Edward is really angry. He looks ___ a madman|
|24)||What a fantastic swimming pool! It is really big, ___ a lake|
|25)||George, you can work here ___ my assistant|